Last Friday was my grandpa's funeral. I've lived near my grandpa nearly all my life and am lucky to have had the opportunity to be with him so much. It's sad to have him gone, but it's been sad for awhile. He's had several small strokes and was in a lot of pain and hasn't been able to do the things he loves for awhile now. My mother has been taking care of him, and for a man so independent and proud I've no doubt it was the hardest time in his life. I am sad my children won't get to hear his stories and jokes from him, but I am so happy that he is watching them and me from heaven. His body that gave him so much finally became his prison, but no more and for that I am happy.
I have his funeral program here (out of order since it's unfolded) I love that all the family is listed. When you think about how many lives came about because of one man it is awe inspiring. So many lives that are being lived, that are loving, raising children, and following dreams all because he was here and fell in love himself and chose to create such a wonderful family that I am privileged to be a part of.
The funeral service was very well done and I got to hear some great stories and learn some things I didn't know about my grandpa. Like he had a pet monkey in Japan. How cool is that?

My mom asked if I would sing Daddy's Hands for the funeral. I think I'd heard the song maybe twice, but was able to get some sheet music and learn it. Celine somehow managed to learn this and Trina & Haley's song in less than a week. serious props to her. Anyway my mom said this song always reminded her of her dad and I can clearly see why.
I'm glad I was able to sing this beautiful song both for my mom and for my grandpa. Here are the lyrics in case you don't know it. :)
I remember Daddy´s hands, folded silently in prayer.
And reaching out to hold me, when I had a nightmare.
You could read quite a story, in the callouses and lines.
Years of work and worry had left their mark behind.
I remember Daddy´s hands, how they held my Mama tight,
And patted my back, for something done right.
There are things that I´ve forgotten, that I loved about the man,
But I´ll always remember the love in Daddy´s hands.
Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
Daddy´s hands, were hard as steel when I´d done wrong.
Daddy´s hands, weren´t always gentle
But I´ve come to understand.
There was always love in Daddy´s hands.
I remember Daddy´s hands, working 'til they bled.
Sacrificed unselfishly, just to keep us all fed.
If I could do things over, I´d live my life again.
And never take for granted the love in Daddy´s hands.
Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
Daddy´s hands, were hard as steel when I´d done wrong.
Daddy´s hands, weren´t always gentle
But I´ve come to understand.
There was always love in Daddy´s hands.
I think this was the first military honors grave side service that I've been to in a long time. In was very impressive. Such respect from these service men and veterans.
Chet played and sang a beautiful song.
Olivia had fallen asleep in the van, so just me and Bella were out for the grave side service. The guns scared Bella pretty bad and all she wanted was Grandma. I had to keep shushing her promising she could see Grandma after the service.
After the service we went back to the church for a luncheon. It was a great chance to see relatives that I haven't seen in years.
This is Pam, my mom's best friend growing up. She came all the way from California. Certainly a silver lining for my mom on this difficult day.
There were many beautiful plants and flowers sent.
My grandma with all her kiddos. I sure do love those uncles and aunt of mine!
Cory was so kind to hold Olivia, and apparently Jaden too while I took pictures.
Because there should always be laughter here's Angie tickling Bella, and naturally Bella loving it.
Some more close ups of those beautiful plants and flowers.
And because I never got to tell my Grandpa Hawker stories, here's one:
Jeremy and I were in the back of Grandma and Grandpa's car. Grandpa starts to slow down and says "Would ya look at that? Everyone is fixated by that light up there." Of course me and Jeremy sit up to look. It was the traffic light. "Well for goodness sake, I didn't know everyone liked the color red so much. Wish they didn't, we could get on our way. Oh would ya look at that, no one likes the color green, there they all go." Grandma from the passenger seat says "Oh Grandpa, nobody thinks your funny." All the while Jeremy and I are in the back seat busting up laughing.
He sure knew how to keep us kids entertained. Love you Grandpa!!


1 comment:
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing them.
Post a Comment