Monday, December 8, 2008

Ward Party - The good and the bad

So as you may or may not know, I am the Activity Chairman in our ward. This means I have to do an activity every month for up 75 to 200 people! this is exhausting! The most challenging activity is the ward Christmas party because we're almost guaranteed every one of those 200 people will be there! This year I planned a Christmas Breakfast for dinner.

The Bad:
~The stake scheduled us and I didn't know it, so we had to have our Christmas party the next week after Thanksgiving!
~We could only fit two griddles in the kitchen without blowing a circut.
~One of my major committee helpers had a concert so she couldn't be there. I never heard back from another of my committee, and the couple on my committee never showed even though they said they would. Ahhh! I only had 1 commitee member to help.
~The lights we were suppose to use to decorate got left in someones car and they would not be back in time for the party at all.
~The paper for the table that I thought we had in the closet. . . wasn't there.
~I was stuck cooking pancakes in the kitchen the whole night.

The Good!:
~It's now all over!!! I can get on with getting my own home ready for Christmas!
~We found pre-cooked bacon Yay! That was going to be the hardest part!
~Anticipating the need for help, I asked Brother and Sister Nielsen. She then asked the Stoddards and Sister Smedly. I had a wonderful team for set up, and running the kitchen!
~Brother Hansen brought some lights we could use.
~The Heidenthallers had several rolls of printing paper in the basement they let us use! (He works for the churches printing company)
~The Stake had a bunch of new bowls and a heated server! Perfect!
~The Nielson's watched Jaden the whole evening and fed him. AND he was good the whole time!
~We had a really good turn-out!
~We had the perfect amount of food!
~I got to stay in the kitchen the whole time. So at first I thought that was a bad thing, but when I went in to check on the food, I remembered I hate crowds! I hate Noise! I hate screaming children running at top speed and getting into things they shouldn't be getting into. The kitchen was a plesent place to be after all.
~Everyone helped clean up and we were walking out the door at 8. (it started at 6. Perfect!)

As you can see we had more good then bad thanks to the wonderful, helpful people in our ward. It turned out to be a success I would say and hopefully I will NOT be doing it again next year!

Hope you all have great non-stressful ward parties!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Wow- that definitely sounds crazy! I couldn't imagine having your job - that's way too much stress. Sounds like you're doing great so keep up the good work!!

jeremyand jessicapotter said...

Oh dear I'm glad it turned out, I was getting a little worried there in the beginning. However if it wouldn't have turned out maybe they would have released you! :)

Anonymous said...

Good job on the successful Christmas party. And thank goodness for those who helped you! It's such a big job, and definitely no fun when people bail. At least it's all over now, and you can enjoy the rest of the Christmas season!